Saturday, January 3, 2015

MEETING A SPONSORED CHILD

BFFs in Kaffrine
Travel Team Member Debbie Jones from Port Orchard, Washington, took time to share this touching encounter from a couple of days ago. Amazing what a small world it is, even 6,000 miles away.

I'm in Kaffrine sitting in the living room of Katie and Corey Garrett, my missionary friends. They have the best Wi-Fi around, so I'm catching up on a few work items via my laptop.

The Garrett's youngest daughter walks in with a couple of her friends. They are giggling, as girls will do when they get together, and playing some sort of game that includes singing and jumping. "These are two close friends of my daughter. They're always together," Katie tells me.  Katie points toward the smallest girl and explains that she goes to Bethesda School (a Christian school in Kaffrine). The girl was small enough that it was hard for me to believe she was 12 years old. "Very small because of malnutrition," says Katie. "Her family is one of the poorest in the area."

I watch the girls play, and even though the littlest one is skinnier and her hair color is not as it should be (a sign of deficient diet), she has a twinkle. I also see a sadness in her eyes, a small window into how hard life can be for her.

Katie tells the girls that part of my job is to take care of (child) sponsorships for Bethesda School. We ask the young girl if, by any chance, she has a sponsor. Her face brightens. She nods. Yes, indeed she is sponsored! She tells us that her sponsors send her very nice things. "They are fine, very fine gifts," she says. It is clear to me that she's quite grateful.

Back to my laptop, I start checking my database to find the name of her sponsor. I'm wondering if I know them. "Would you like for me to take your picture to give to your sponsor?" I ask her. She's pleased about the idea, but wants her two playmates to join in the fun.

I find the sponsor's name. And although I don't know them personally, I look forward to the joy of sharing the photo with them. The added blessing is that it's a family from Mountain View.

Katie adds that her daughter told this little friend the Christmas story. It's my prayer that through the influence of the Garrett family and the close bond with the Garrett's daughter, who shared the Gospel, that this young student one day will accept Christ as her personal savior.

Debbie Jones
Debbie says she will also be bringing back letters for sponsors from their respective Bethesda students. Debbie is the Sponsorship Director at GO on the Mission and the Outreach Director at Adventure of Faith Church, our local Senegal ministry partners.

Individuals and families from Mountain View sponsor 26 Bethesda students. If you are part of Mountain View and would like more details, contact the church office (360-659-7777) or stephanie@mtvpc.org.

For more information in general on child sponsorships in Senegal (and other countries), visit www.goonthemission.com.





1 comment:

Thank you!