Thursday, January 1, 2015

THE SOCCER BLESSING

Members of Diagle's soccer team  pose with Kristin Serniotti, proud of the team's recent first-place tournament win.
You'll want to click and read SOCCER BALLS before continuing with today's posted story.

God is a God of surprises, especially when drawing us to Him. If you've never thought of soccer (or futbol) as a holy experience, think again. Our Travel Team just witnessed first hand the blessing of soccer. Kristin Serniotti's 30-year passion for the game and her inspiration to bring soccer balls as gifts for Wolof youths appear to be on God's "surprise" radar.

Here, in her words, is how Kristin describes this past Tuesday when our Team visited our sister village of Diagle (Jog-a-lay):

Morning, 12/30/14
"Today we find out the teen boys won first place in a soccer tournament. It gives me goosebumps because I had set aside a couple of (soccer) balls for the village, and this is an opportunity to give the balls as gifts for the boys' success. It is obvious how proud the village is of these young men. We are invited to come back in the evening to celebrate the soccer team. I plan to bring the balls then.

Sunset, 12/30/14
"As I step off the van, (Wolof) children swarm to greet us. I make my way through the kids to watch a celebratory exhibition match between two Diagle squads. Half the guys are wearing white jerseys, the other half are wearing green.

"The game ended in a tie, which lead to a shootout to break the tie. This was about the time I arrived. As I reach the dirt field where they are playing, a player--it must have been the team captain--asks our Wolof interpreter, Adama, to ask me if we might have a soccer ball. Theirs had just given out and the match couldn't continue without a ball. I am amazed! I believe God is making it clear that He had come before us, had prepared all of us for this to happen.

"I open my backpack and pull out one of the golden-colored, indestructible Futbols I brought all the way from Marysville, Washington. There is so much excitement because the boys are down to the winning shots. They lead me to a special spot to watch, each team taking one turn at a time to shoot at the goal. The white jerseys win! Then, the players try to give the new ball back to me. I explain that it is a gift they get to keep, and they are very appreciative.

"At the celebration afterward, there is a long line up where we (the foreign 'dignitaries') are invited to walk through and shake hands with each victorious player (white and green). Our Travel Team has so much fun sharing the village's joy in this. The team captain asks if he can meet with me tomorrow to talk. I am excited to hear what he has to say."

John Mason, Travel Team member, says he believes this experience was another step in building a relationship with village residents that will someday prompt the question: Why are our friends from America always so kind and supportive? "We look forward to answering that question by talking about the One who is our model and teacher of all things loving, kind and supportive: Jesus Christ," says John.

New Year's Eve, our Team plans to visit the village of Sorokogne, sister village of Adventure of Faith Church in Port Orchard, Washington. Dinner time will be spent two miles down the road in Diagle with village residents and friends, Adji and Fatou.

Another Futbol is presented by our Team to Bethesda School (Christian school, elementary grades), in Kaffrine, Senegal. Funds for this ball were donated by members of Seattle Children's Chorus.
Pastor Camille Sarr of Bethesda School, Kaffrine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!